& Copper Country Historical Page

Main
Site Map
What's New
labdisc.jpg (2832 bytes)
Scale Models
History
Image Gallery
Library
Painesdale Mine & Shaft
Depot - FAQ
Cybertours
Range Today
Author Information
Links
E-Mail

Copyright 1996-2006
Kevin E. Musser


;


 

The Lake Mine Area
(Additional Photos)

Structures of the Keweenaw
Part IX


lakemine.jpg (91395 bytes)
A vintage photo of Lake Mine taken around 1911.
The Copper Range Depot can be seen in the middle of the photo.

lmsmall.jpg (16753 bytes)
Another view of Lake Mine

lm1.jpg (22716 bytes)
Ex-Milwaukee Road tracks at Mass Station

lm2.jpg (19455 bytes)
One of only a few remaining homes in Lake Mine

lm3.jpg (18316 bytes)
Ex-Milwaukee Road trestle over the Adventure Creek

lm4.jpg (17508 bytes)
Downtown Mass City

lm5.jpg (28190 bytes)
Contin House on Ridge Ave., Mass City

The Contin house has a neat history. It was one of the original mining houses in the area. From what I remember, it was the mine's bookkeeper's residence. It was hauled from the minesite to town rolling on logs. The reason it is called the Contin house, is the last owner, Mr. Contin, died in that house. Purchased by Nick and Elma Lukkarila, Elma kept as many things of the old school building before they tore it down. One of the upstairs bedrooms is mocked up as a schoolroom with the old wooden desks and other memorabilia that she collected. (Related by Jay Lukkarila)

The home appears just as it was constructed except for the front porch that was added in the early 20's. It has a kitchen, dining room and parlor downstairs and three bedrooms upstairs and no inside plumbing.

Nearly 100 homes were moved in the Mass City area alone, as it was a common practice in the Keweenaw region. The homes were moved with a capstan anchored in place by four, three foot long pegs. The rope attached to the house was hitched to horses (and later tractors) and driven around the capstan until the home, rolling on logs, reached the capstan, which was usually 100 feet or so. The most time consuming task was moving the logs as the house rolled along. In the early days it could take weeks to move a house and people actually lived inside while being transported. There is one story of a girl who would go off to school in the morning and have to find where her house was when she got out of school in the afternoon. She did this for two weeks while the move was in progress. Another recalled going to visit a girlfriend and having the crew stop and raise a ladder to the door so she could go in and visit. When she had finished her visit the process was reversed, all the time the house was moving down the road.

contin1.jpg (25643 bytes)

Walter Lukkarila shows off a needlepoint from the 1893 Columbian World's Fair that was attended by a local Mass City resident and now is displayed at the Contin house. The stars on the left were displayed by families who had a son fighting in the Great War.

lm6.jpg (16692 bytes)
Home on Mass Ave. Mass City

lm10.jpg (20676 bytes)
Lake Mine scene

lm11.jpg (19240 bytes)
Lake Mine

lmts.jpg (37208 bytes)
Structures trackside on the Copper Range in Lake Mine

lm12.jpg (17199 bytes)
Buckhorn Bar, Mass City

 

The North Lake Mine

The next three photos are the remains of the Nouth Lake Mine Shaft-Rockhouse which was located south of Lake Mine off M-38.


lm7.jpg (24982 bytes)

lm8.jpg (19701 bytes)

lm9.jpg (29317 bytes)

 

 


 


.